Thursday, March 7, 2013

I love to see the temple!


Oh hey all. This week went by pretty fast, and it ended up in a very raining pday spent with the Roma 2 sorelle. We had fun even in the rain :) And last pday Slla Bradford and I went to go see the temple site and it's getting bigger! It should be done in 2014, though I don't know which part of the year it will be. I can't wait to come back and see it all done someday!

Some interesting stuff this week. We had to pass an investigator to the anziani because he was way too attached to Sorella Sobeck. That was hard, and uncomfortable. Man. It's really lame that this problem has to get in the way of people's progress in the gospel. Not a fan.

Remember a couple weeks ago that we had received a referral from Roma 1 of a lady from Peru, we met up with her and then found out she was a member of the church already? She came to church with us on Sunday! She lives far away, and with all of the transportation it took her a total of 2 hours to get to church with about 5 different modes of transportation - travel bus, metro, bus, trenino, walking (we picked her up and went with her the last 2 together so she could find it, because the Roma 3 church is kind of hidden). Gives a whole new perspective as I've met these people of the importance of coming to church every Sunday. People sacrifice SO MUCH. It's something I've never had to do, living 2 minutes from the church my whole life and then going to BYU. I love these people for their diligence.

Sunday there were supposed to be 2 baptisms after church. But I learned again how much Satan DOESN'T WANT THIS. He does everything he can to stop baptism. Unfortunately he had some success this Sunday. The Anziani have been teaching Stephen, who is from Ghana. We all saw him on Saturday at the church and he was great and happy. That night at 10pm he called the anziani, telling them that his brother was in Italy, had called him, found out he was getting baptized the NEXT DAY, and fed him a bunch of lies about our church including that we are not Christian. It really scared Stephen, so much that he didn't even come to church on Sunday. It has been really hard on all of us. Sunday in church was rough and we said several prayers together with the 6 missionaries in our ward for help for him and for the anziani. Today I know they're in communication with Stephen still, but he is very confused and we don't know what's going to happen. It was also a day when Satan was probably rejoicing, becuase many investigators didn't come to church who said they were, members were sick, plans fell through, etc.

On a happier note, Austin DID get baptized. I love Africans!!! On Monday the 4 sorelle went to lunch with Austin and also with Dexter (the Filippino who got baptized in August before I got to Roma) and Austin is legit. He feels so good after being baptized. And I found out that day that he felt really sick on Sunday and wouldn't have come to church that day to rest, except that it was his baptism day and he had made a promise with God so he came. :) THOSE are the prepared people!!!!!!!!! Ready to ACT.

Dario is also legit! We fasted together with him for fast Sunday, and he came to church and to the baptism. He wants to get baptized on the 17th! He just needs to quite smoking, so we are working really hard with him this week to help him finally quit forever. Pray for him! If he's not going to be ready for the 17th I know he will be ready soon after, and I'm sooo happy for him :)

We've had some cool experiences at the African camp lately too. David is awesome, we taught him the PLan of Salvation yesterday and we all felt so good. Last week he brought a friend to the lesson too and we re-taught the Restoration to this guy, Oscar, and it was so awesome. I love teaching people :)

I love Filippini. Period. Hahaha. Making good friends with them.

We found a really old inactive lady who is slightly crazy. She is 83 and has no teeth. So when we were there she decided to put her dentures in her mouth and commenced to growl with them in. Yep. Good times!!

I love gelato, I love pizza, I love pasta. I love Italy! I am officially legal to be here until February 2014 becuase I got my new permesso card. But sadly I will not be here that much longer. I will eat as much gelato, pizza, pasta, and everything else that I can in the meantime!

Vi voglio bene!
Love, Sorella Sobeck

P.S. - No time for pictures, EXCEPT for a couple with Gaetanina, the 83 year old with no teeth who is hilarious. Here are pictures of her first with no teeth, and then with her teeth growling at us hahahaha. Love it!


Hannah - I got your letter and I laughed so hard. Oh my goodness - real life hahaha.


COLOSSEO

No comments:

Post a Comment