Wednesday, October 5, 2011

God knows whats up - WEEK 5‏

Oh hey everyone.
Ahhhh this week was good. Lots of cool things happened.
Numero uno: GENERAL CONFERENCE was basically the coolest. Watching it in the MTC with a few thousand other missionaries made it really powerful because I knew that a lot of people were feeling the same things as I was during certain talks. I had several favorite talks. I think my favoritest favorite was Elder Hales' talk during the Sunday morning session about waiting upon the Lord. "His rest and peace will be mine when I continue to wait upon Him with faith." What an amazing promise! During the last session I loved loved loved the talk by Elder Yamashita of the 70, since it was directly for missionaries, future, present, and returned. Our converts will never forget us. Elder Bednar talked a lot about Elijah, and ever since I went to Jerusalem I have just loved Elijah. I enjoyed that talk. And President Uchtdorf is just the bomb. "Compared to God we are nothing, but we are everything to God." :) I'm grateful for the love of the leaders of the church for every single person on this earth. I absolutely love our prophet today - he is the cutest! The first time he got up to the pulpit and just said "HELLO!" made my life. I'm so excited about the new temples - the 2nd one in Provo will be an incredible blessing, because the temple now is always really really crowded with all the people here. I got really excited for a temple in Congo also, I don't know why but that made me so happy! And Star Valley!!! I've been there and I love it there! One of my roommates is from Wyoming and they were told that there wouldn't be a temple in Wyoming - so when they announced she literally shouted "NO WAY!" and everyone turned and looked at her and yep. She's pretty excited. :) So yes, I LOVED every session of General Conference this weeked.
We were also able to watch the Relief Society general broadcast during the priesthood session. Again, President Uchtdorf just knows what to say to the world to make them feel better. I loved his analogy with the forget-me-not flower.
I seriously just want to tell everyone the amazing things I learned and thats it! I don't really have much else to say this week.
Our fireside Sunday night: we went in with mixed emotions because we had been sitting in these uncomfortable chairs for 2 days straight - seriously, the conference schedule was eat-conference-eat-conference-eat-fireside. Everyday. And we would always go super early to get seats. So much sitting. So we didn't really want to go to the fireside because we were sick of sitting. End of that story. But our speaker ended up being fantastic, as they always are here in teh MTC. Chad Lewis spoke to us. He played in the NFL for the Philidelphia Eagles, and he is (or was - can't remember) the NFL ambassador for China because he served his mission in Taiwan and of course is the only guy who knows Chinese in teh NFL haha. I LOVED his talk. He told us a lot about "let your greenie light shine!" when we get to the field. Focus on the blessings and the joys, and work through the disappointments. I thought this was a great idea for life in general. And the most profoud thing he shared: "We are preparing to do really cool things." Hahaha seriously, my favorite thing he said. Because it's so true. He has so much love for missionaries.
MTC Devotional last night: Elder L. Lionel Kendrick (former member of the 70) spoke in his southern drawl and made an impact on me. Favorite things he said:
There is a big difference between serving time and serving the Savior. That is important for every missionary in the world to remember.
We are totally transparet before the Savior. He sees the innermost parts of my heart and soul.
"In the economy of heaven, God never uses a floodlight when a flashlight is sufficient." - Elder Neal A Maxwell. We will mostly receive flashlight responses in our lives.
"GOD IS IN THE DETAILS OF OUR LIVES. HE WILL MICROMANAGE THE AFFAIRS OF OUR LIVES. HE IS OUR GOD AND HE LOVES US." - Elder Maxwell. I can't describe how powerfully I felt that statement. I know a lot of people who are going through the worst things right now. I never know what to say. But I can agree with Elder Maxwell and say that I know that this is right.
Going along with that - Elder Kendrick talked a lot about how those on the other side of the veil come and help up in life. They keep pushing onward and upward and they are busy helping us with our experiences.
Later after the devotional I was thinking and I want to share what I wrote down/thought:
"God knows exactly whats going to happen. He knows whats up. When we find people in Italy He and the others on the other side of the veil helping us will be cheering for JOY! Yeah we all have our agency, but He made it happen because it was supposed to happen. And whats why good things happen. Thats why we find people who are ready for the gospel." Yeah thats not the most eloquent description, but I can seriously just imagine the smiles that happen in heaven when the missionaries meet a person who is so prepared to learn about the gospel. I CAN'T WAIT for those experiences.
Ok - I feel like my emails are just one giant testimony. That is what my time here is though - strengthening my testimony and my teaching abilities and my knowledge. So that's all I know what to share with everyone.
Here's a fun fact: The Italians (in the MTC) like to make friends with the Russians. Because our class rooms are on the same floor in the same building and we are on the same schedules. I love playing sand volleyball and soccer with them. Talk about the funniest minutes of my day.
We did an entire day (last Friday) of SYL (Speak your language)!!! Oh man it was so hard and it makes you realize that I really don't know how to say anything, but it really helps so much. We just walk around with dictionaries and do our best. We're going to try and do SYL every other day. And the new Italians come in 1 week!!!
I have a new obsession with cinnamon candy - for example: Hot Tamales. And chocolate covered cinnamon bears. YUUMMMMM. Especially Hot Tamales.
Ok, love you all. I realized that my emails are really long. ANd full of random ness. But I type like a mad woman because I jsut have so many thoughts and so much happens in a week. I hope some one can use the insights though and learn something - because I learn so much and I love what I'm being taught. I hope everyone has a great week! In 4 weeks I'll be in Italy! Pray for the missionaries in the world to learn their languages and the gospel and listen to the Spirit. :) Love you :) :) :) :)
Love, Sorella Sobeck

Neon socks

No comments:

Post a Comment