Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I ran into a door. Mamma mia. WEEK 6.‏

I will explain that title first today - yes, the other day I did run into a door. Not the broad side of it, but the narrow part if that makes sense. It was really funny, Sorella Soh almost died. No it didn't hurt - I just thought I'd share with you all that just because you're a missionary, you're klutziness does not go away. Yep, I'm very much still the same person.
So ciao everyone! I am officially 2/3 of my way through the MTC and in 3 weeks I will actually be IN ITALIA! I really can't believe it. Today we get the new Italian missionaries - this time only 5 are coming. 4 Anzioni who are all going to Milano, and then there is 1 Sorella who is on fast-track so she will leave with us in 3 weeks and she's going to Roma. I met one of them last night because he is an international missionary and they always come the day before. He's from Albania! He was supposed to be in our group on August 31st but his visa wasn't ready (what else is new in the missionary world today - visas visas visas) and so this transfer he came. We're all excited to have more Anzioni, as much as we love have a ton of Sorelle.
I really don't know what to write about this week.
Except my cool highlight that last night at the devotional Sis. Julie B. Beck spoke to us. Bro. Beck spoke first actually, and he's SO COOL! He went to Roma on his mission and immediately when he spoke he gave a shout-out to the Italians and started speaking Italian and we immediately loved him!!! Then Sis. Beck spoke a lot about families and temples and how the world was created so families would have a place to live together and the priesthood and temples are the reason for it all - so we can receive blessings. That was it in a nutshell. After it ended I said out loud that I really wanted to go meet them. We decided to try, and yes we succeeded. We got to shake their hands and talk to Bro. Beck in Italian and we all felt so cool. It was pretty exciting to shake the hand of the RS President. So that was probably the most exciting thing of my week.
On Sundays, the branch presidency randomly calls 2 people a week to give a talk in sacrament. But they don't tell you until they announce it in sacrament meeting, literally 2 seconds before you speak. So everyone has to prepare a talk everyweek in your language in the chance that they'll call you. Well, since I'm telling you this it probably means that I got called this week and so I got to give a really short talk on lo Spirito Santo (Holy Ghost) on Sunday and it went well. After I and a Portuguese elder spoke, a member of the branch pres. and his wife spoke about enduring to the end. Sis. McMullin read a quote that I have heard before but had forgotten, and it was a great one to remember: "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." If anyone's having a hard time, remember that!!!
I guess another PAZZO (crazy) thing that we decided to do as a district was do SYL for 3 days. Yes 3 days in a row. We decided on Saturday night, fasted on Sunday, then Monday Tuesday Wednesday is SYL. So today is our last day. The first day was really good, the second day was really good (except last night when we got to our dorms and spoke in English because we were dying), and today is hard because its Pday and we spoke English at the temple and everything. But we want to go until dinner tonight and I am so proud of my district for staying strong!!! The more we do SYL here, the better off we'll be in Italy. We already know that the first while in italy is going to be really hard because we won't udnerstand much, but we're trying really hard to learn all we can. It's super hard everyday, but I think my brain is accepting that nothing on a mission will every be easy. Something that Bro. Beck said last night was that it's not magic that makes things happen. GO TO WORK. Ok!
So as I'm typing I'm remember more cool things. I had a "WOW!" moment in my personal study yesterday morning. I'm reading at least a chapter a day in il Libro di Mormon everyday and yesterday I was on 2 Nephi 4. We had read part of this in class together about a week ago and I remember thinking "this is the coolest thing ever". But as is typical of me, I forgot about it a little and so when I read it again by myself yesterday, my entire being just wanted to explode. I guess it's because what I read was perfect for our investigator, Salvatore, who is supposed to be getting baptized on Saturday but he needs to quit smoking first and he's having a hard time. So I read a few verses to him about temptations and he loved it and I just felt the spirit so much during our lesson yesterday with him. It's sooooooo cool how everything works! Who knows if he'll actually quit, but I felt so good about sharing it with him and I can't wait for that to happen in italia!!!
One of my teachers, Sorella Swenson, had her last day teaching us on Saturday morning. :( :( :( We're getting a new teacher tonight who we haven't met yet. It'll be good. But Sor. Swenson guessed where we would all go for our 1st city in italia. She guessed that I would go to Ragusa!! It's a city on the very southern point on Sicilia. Basically, that would be awesome to go there. I can't wait to find out where I'll be serving first and who my trainer will be!
Aunt Donna - I got your cookies yesterday and they're so good!! Once again, my district loves you so much haha. Those chocolate ones are fantastic. And also, I LOVED the quote by president Hinkley!
Russell - thanks for the email, I added you to the email list and i don't know how you didn't get on it. Send my your address so I can write back.
Rich - yes the Russians are cool, but just saying, the Italians are the coolest!! Thanks for the dearelder, i loved reading it.
Thanks everyone who loved me this week, letters are so wonderful to receive and I'm grateful for them.
TRES SETTIMANI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you all,
Sorella Sobeck

Last class with Sorella Swenson, a spiritual BOMBA

Our 3-day SYL pact...handprints included on chalkboard

No comments:

Post a Comment