Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Work with a strong mind and a mighty heart - WEEK 4‏

Ciao a tutti!
What a week. Almost half way done in the MTC and it's blowing my mind. In 5 weeks from today I will be in Italy probably in the mission home. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
Week 4 went pretty well, as every week you feel about every emotion at least once. Being happy and excited definitely trumps though and takes up the majority of everything else.
Thanks for letters/DearElders/thoughts/prayers this week. I got some really cool thoughts from people, and some very nice words. I thank you for those, they made me feel really happy and feel like I'm doing the right thing. While I know that for myself it is nice to be reminded by others that you're doing something good. If that makes any sense at all. I got an email about what my DearElder info is: I am mailbox #335 and my departure date is 1101. Mission code is ITA-ROM. Thanks :)
Ok, so this week was awesome. Last Wednesday when all the new missionaries came in I saw 4 friends!! First I saw Sister Alyssa Chard, on her way to Paris, France. We went to Jerusalem together last year and we were roommates in Egypt. The coolest thing is that exactly 1 year ago when we were in Egypt we were both talking about how we were seriously thinking about serving missions. And now we're both in the MTC together. Tropo forte. The second person I saw was Elder Brad Evans, going to Texas! He's from Clovis and it was great to see him. I actually see him a lot haha and he loves calling me Sorella. The third was Elder Chris Leon, on his way to Quebec Canada! Another friend from home!!! And lastly, I saw Sister Jessie Riddle, going to Chicago Spanish speaking and she just happens to be in the room right next to mine! We were roommates at BYU 2 years ago and I just love her guts. So great to see friends here :) It is a great boost!
Random thing: one of my teachers, Sorella Swenson, and I found some hilarious random connections. She is married and her maiden name is Christine Lewis. Janine, does that sound familiar? I showed her a picture of our family and she knew who you were and she figured out that you were her RS President in the Colony hahahahaha. She said you'd know her sister Jessica better? So funny. And also, Janet Reynders...you dated her brother! It came up when she said her brother served a YPM mission in Nauvoo, and we connected it that way. By the way - CONGRATS FRIEND!!! So so so excited for you to serve a mission in SLC :) :)
Other stuff from this week:
-Sorella Soh and I are working together SO MUCH BETTER in our lessons! We had a lesson a couple weeks ago that was not a good experience, and since then we've been workign really hard to do better. I am talking so much more in the lessons and she is talking less and trying to keep it simpler. We really have the spirit with us. I know that simplicity is KEY! And that we don't do anything, it's allllll the spirit who teaches.
-Speaking of teaching, we committed BOTH of our investigators this past week to get baptized!! AHHHH! Holy cow, it's an amazing feeling! For all who don't know, when we teach in teh MTC we are teaching our teachers, so it's not really real investigators. But they are acting like people they taught on their missions. So they are real people, and the experiences are very real for us. So everytime we teach we feel like their salvation is on teh line and it's good practice for us for what it's going to be like when we get to Italia in 5 weeks. Yep...FIVE WEEKS!! I am soooo excited!!!
-I can do a pull-up now. Yep, it's super legit. I couldn't do one even when I lifted weights during waterpolo/swim seasons, so I feel pretty accomplished because of this haha. We try a couple times every day. I love it.
-Sack breakfast is awesome. When we don't have to be somewhere until like 8:30, or if we have gym first, or if it's P-day (this is like 3 times a week total) we go get sack breakfast. There's nothing like a cinnamon sugar bagel in the morning with some yogurt! It's my favorite meal in teh MTC :)
I cannot wait for General Conference this weekend. Because of it, we don't have class on Saturday so we're all excited to have that break and just listen to the prophet and the apostles. Looking forward to it so much.
Quick note, if you sent me a Dear Elder last week (initials just happen to be G.H.B.) and you want a letter in return before that very significant event in 2 weeks arrives (you know what I'm talking about), you best send me your new address! Cuz I can't sent it telepathically as cool as that would be. Thanks in advance. A letter will be waiting for that address...
Our devotional last night was Elder Don R. Clarke of the 70 and it was awesome. Some of my favorite things he said:
-Subject line quote. If you take the scripture that talks about workign with all your heart, might, mind, and strenghth, and you reword it a little, thats what you get. Work with a strong mind and a mighty heart. Well said.
-DILIGENCE, NOT INTELLIGENCE.  That was my favorite thing he said. I feel like I hardly know anything, and I am not a Scriptorian at all like many missionaries here are. But if I keep working, I can do it! Applies to everything in life, as long as we keep going and keep trying, we don't have to be super intelligent. Take that how you will.
-If you love people, you will push them. If I write something intense, it's because I love you :) And because I know that so many things are important to know right now even if we don't want to hear them necessarily.
I hope everyone is doing well. And that everyone is happy. I'm so grateful to be a missionary. It has been so good for me to go through these things the past 4 weeks and I have learned so so so much. I'm so grateful for the love! Everyone's letters are so positive and they encourage me to keep doing my best. So that's exactly what I'm doing - my best. Vi voglio bene! :) Have a wonderful week.

Love, Sorella Sobeck



Hermana Ray going to Peru. Love her!!!

This about sums up the relationship between my collega and me...we're a good match :)

No comments:

Post a Comment