Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Round 2

All right everyone, so as not to postpone the suspense of transfer news (because I'm sure everyone is very anxiously waiting!), I'll just tell you right now what happened. I'm staying in Mistretta for a 4th. Sorella Comollo is leaving and going to Bari (in the other ward that I was in, but I'm so excited for her to go there!!!!!!! Now she'll see what I came from haha). My new companion is...I don't know yet. I will find out tomorrow when I pick up my greenie from the station in Catania. Yep, for some crazy reason Heavenly Father wants me to train for the second time, I only hope and pray that this time will be a little smoother. Should be, becuase the last time was half my mission ago haha. I have this pattern going on: Bari - same companion for 3 transfers, then train for 1, transferred. Mistretta - same companion for 3, then train for possibly 1. Vediamo. I'm anxious about what's going to happen, but also excited to be so lucky. Training really is a cool experience, and it really affects the missionary for the rest of their mission...so its an honor. Who would've thought I'd have 2 daughters on my mission??? (Haha and for those who might not understand the mission lingo - when you train, the new missionary is called your child.) Greenies bring good luck, so I'm hoping with her we'll be able to see a couple baptisms this transfer that we have planned. That would be simply incredible!!!

Other news of the week: I HAVE to write about the San Sebastiano processione where 20.000 people came to the tiny town of Mistretta. IT WAS CRAZY. The streets were seriously FILLED and I really could not have imagine it before, because its just not like that normally! The processione itself was very interesting...a very good cultural experience. It is sad for me that these guys carrying around this huge saint statue all over the city is the concept of faith for so many of these people, but we can only do our best to help people realize that there is a lot more to it than that, and a lot more joy. I got some GREAT video and pictures that I can't wait to show all when I return home in March.

This past week has been a little crazy. On Saturday was the procession so we were under Mistretta arrest (because we couldn't leave with the car) and got to see the procession.

Sunday I gave a talk in church about different ways that Satan tries to bring us down, using Alma 46-47 (about Amalichia and how he betrayed the Nephites and then became king of the Lamanites, all in 2 chapters!!!) as an example. It was very interesting for me. I used 3 examples: 1) we are on top of the mountain (like Lehonti and his armies), and Satan tries and tempts us to come down. He asks us many times, and he changes tactics, and if we're not careful we won't realize when we start descending from the top of the mountain. 2) Satan gets us "by degrees", like Amalichia poisened Lehonti by degrees. Most people aren't just going to commit a huge sin the first time they're tempted. But piano piano, he weasles his way in. (Man I really don't remember how to spell in English). 3) Satan is a LIAR. Amalichia tricked the queen on the Lamanites, then married her and became king himself. Satan is sooooooooo sneaky. We all need to do our best to stay on top of the mountain, where we can be with the gospel of Jesus Christ, and if and WHEN we make mistakes, find our way back by using the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It seems so simple, yet in real life we make it so complicated. I know I need to be better at this. At Zone Conference President Kelly told us there are 2 principal ways in which Satan destroys missionaries, and the same applies in real life forever: 1) disobedience 2) discouragement. I really learned a lot giving this talk and applying this story to how Satan tries to work with us to bring us down. He is only as strong as we let him. And we have God on our side. This gives me so much comfort during my mission.

Monday I gave the training at DDM when we went to Palermo and we had all the Palermo anziani there (6 of us total), and it was fun to have DDM in Italian again, like old times in Bari. Both of my anziani have been transferred as well, so my district will be all new except for me. That's going to be really weird.

The week has been spent getting Sorella Comollo all ready to go, getting ready for the new sorella, and telling a million people goodbye. The joys of transfers. I've been so tired this week as its go go go haha. But its been good to see people. When you tell someone you're leaving, they really try harder to make time to see you haha, so its been a great trick of bribery to meet with some people!!! Today we are going to Catania, my comp leaves for Bari tomorrow morning, and I believe I will be picking up my new comp tomorrow evening. While its been a great 3 transfers together with Sorella Comollo and we've really worked hard to pick up the work in Mistretta, we are both excited for the change and feel like awesome miracles are going to happen in both ends. I hope its true :) I'm sure next weeks email will be full of interesting things that have happened.

Please pray for me this week, to have lots of energy and patience, and especially for the new sorella because she has to be companions with me!!! :) It's going to be fun for both of us, but always an adjustment. I hope everyone is well, sounds like school is starting again so good luck to everyone going to school! That's so weird to think about, I feel like I've been away for so long. I celebrate one year in the mission next week...isn't that crazy? Il tempo passa.

Love you all!

Sorella Sobeck

Parade

Searching for inactives who don't want to see us

Antonio and Santa

Nino "male male male"

At the procession!!

One of the runners, they were exhausted

Disgusting...money that people donate to the saint

Giuseppe

Famiglia Portera!

Pizza napolitana...la cosa piu' buona nel mondo!

Last district meal before they all left me

Famiglia Pupari

Angela and Giuseppe

Castello hike in the early am

Giuseppe and mamma

San Sebastiano statue

Fireworks after the procession

No comments:

Post a Comment