Wednesday, August 1, 2012

AGOSTO!!

Mamma mia è gia agosto!! I am almost at my year mark on the mission...With the days so long it seems strange that 11 months have passed...I'm happy to have survived, and I hope I have grown from the many different types of experiences that I've had. Sometimes I feel like I probably haven't changed that much, but other times when I feel so different.

So what happened in the life of Sorella Sobeck in the last week of July 2012. Some cool stuff. Some lame stuff too haha. It happens.

We've had some cool member referrals lately...those are rare. So we were really excited to go out and do some missionary work with Fratello Nino. One of his referrals was an ex'member of the church. Can I just say that there is a huge difference between members of the Church of Jesus Christ and everyone else I meet on the street? Just with the way they talk about God and prayer, like its a thing so personal. Which it is. Even though this guy was excommunicated a long while ago, he still knows deep inside that these things are true. I hope we go to meet him again.

WE sneak attacked a less active family and it was awesome becuase they invited us to eat lunch with them and then spontaneously made us crepes afterwards too. It was nice to spend lunch inside with someone and to learn more about this family. I hope that missionaries can come live in this area and make the work explode here, because there could be so much strength.

Unfortunately we've been dropping lots of investigators lately who have not been doing anything to help themselves or let us help them. It's nice becuase we don't feel so spread thin these days, but sad becuase our investigator pool just got a lot smaller. But we have some great new investigators from the past couple weeks who we are excited about.

We went to the compagna (which is basically teh countryside) to do service for someone, but instead of letting us help him do work he pretty much just handed us a bunch of fruit and made us eat it. I've never eaten so many different kinds of plums that are so delicious.

I'm insanely jealous that the Olympics are on and I can't watch them. Except we were at the Portera's house the other day and they had them on, so I got to watch a couple minutes of synchronized diving and cycling while we waited to ahve correlation :) I also heard that the bow and arrow thing...whatever they call it, was between Italy and USA for gold and silver...adn Italy won by 1 point. Mamma mia...you should keep me update with what happens with swimming and water polo, because thats really all I care about haha. Michael Phelps in again this year?

We had an awesome district meeting on Monday where we talked about asking people for baptismal dates. I think here it can be a fear becuase often when you mention baptism to these people, they completely close up and afterwards won't see you anymore. We've had many experiences about that. But I've been praying lately to get a baptismal date in this area becuase we NEED IT! It's been so long since there has been one here, and so this training was an answer to my prayers. Since then, we have had 2 really good experiences with 2 newer investigators asking them to baptized, one with a date too. WE don't have the date confirmed, but we are so excited about doing it, and that these pepole know exactly why we're here. And they both want to continue seeing us :) :) I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers and is aware of every single one of us.

I'm in Palermo right now writing this email. WE came to spend Pday with the anziani with the plans of going to play lazer tag. But it was closed. Then we went to the bowling place, and it was closed. And then to a pizzeria. And it was closed. And we realized that today is August 1st, and the month of August is when EVERYONE goes on vacation in Italy and lots of things are closed. Joy. MIssionary work is going to be fun!!

I'm out of time. Thanks for emails, please keep writing them because 1) its a great service! :) and 2) they really help me. Hope everyone has a good week, Happy Olympics, Happy August, and stay cool! It's HOT in Palermo.

Aunt Kathy - I'm excited you guys got a new puppy! Cute name, good luck with the puppy/training phase :)
Spjute family - Thank you SO MUCH. I love your family and appreciate all of your support. I hope you are all doing well, especially during this week.

Love,
Sorella Sobeck

Isa is going to Canada!

Psycho little brother...

Everything closed in Palermo...



No comments:

Post a Comment