Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Week of Conferences

Ciao tutti! I'm in Catania today! We had Zone Conference yesterday (it was super early this transfer) and we got permission to stay in Catania for Pday today. So today what did we do? We went to Mt. Etna...just an active volcano thats HUGE! We did some hiking, got some scrapes, had some fun, my companion ripped her pants (hahah poor thing), ate some McDonalds afterwards, and we're about to head back to Mistretta. As always, Zone Conference was super uplifting and I feel a million ways I need to improve on. But we also receive advice, and something that is sometimes really hard to remember in this mission (and I think especially in the smaller cities) where you don't always see lots of success, is that we plant lots of seeds that we don't even know about. And we probably won't ever know the full service we gave to these people until after this life. I hope that happens. I love all the stories about people who get a passalong card or a Book of Mormon and then 10 years later they see it and meet the missionaries and get baptized. That was a good reminder for me...we do lots of finding all the time and I hope we are planting lots and lots of seeds for these people :) But if not, I'm doing my best anyways and I know Heavenly Father is proud of me for serving my hardest.

We have this one investigator who is actually an ex'communicated member, Isabella, but she is so cute. We have been trying to work with her a little, and she is only 24 so close to our age and she loves to see us lately. She thinks we're so funny haha. We've been really happy to have some good lessons with her the past couple weeks and have some fun lessons with her.

On Saturday we were really happy to get a new investigator that night! We hadn't gotten any that week yet, OR the week before, and so we were really hoping for a miracle. It happened when we had an appointment with this old man we street contacted a few weeks before and finally called him up. We thought he was going to give us a bidone honestly (stand us up) when he didn't answer his phone and he was late, but he showed up and we had a great first lesson with him and he's so cute! He's ex-military and very kind. His wife died like 7 years ago and he's already reading some of the Book of Mormon. Miracle.

We had Stake Conference on Sunday in Palermo, but it turned out to be a conference for all of ITALY that they broadcasted from Salt Lake! Anziano Nelson and Anziano Eyring and a member of the 70 all spoke, and it was soooo awesome!! And Giuseppe came too!!! ANOTHER MIRACLE!! Holy cow this guy is making sacrifices to come to stuff, and Palermo is far from his house in Capo D'orlando. He's so willing to come and it makes us so happy. When people make sacrifices and ACT that's how they get a testimony. And Giuseppe is doing that. Super excited for him. He made a great analogy about how investigating a church is like dating someone hahaha. And how you want to know everything about them before you get married/baptized. While that isn't possible (obviously), and we have forever to continue to learn about the church or that person, I thought it was a cool analogy. He also doesn't udnerstand how people who are members of the church stop going. yeah...I don't get it either. I love that he feels that way though. Giuseppe is our miracle every single week I feel.

I'm starting to get nice and tan. But not with swimsuit tan lines...with farmer tans haha. Even though its not as hot in Mistretta as it is everywhere else in Sicily...its still pretty hot. And nice and sunny. Good times.

Love you all!!! I'm always grateful to be a missionary because of the things I'm learning every single day and week. I'm grateful for the friendships I'm building too. Thanks for all the letters and emails, I've felt loved lately and I'm grateful for teh support and thoughts. :)

Buon giorno a tutti!!!

Love, Sorella Sobeck

Sorry I can't figure out how to send photos. But when I figure it out I'll send some cool ones of Mt. Etna :) :) :) Ciao ciao!

Ana - NO LETTER????? That's so dumb!! I'm sorry :( Man, somebody just really wanted a letter from Sorella Sobeck or something haha...it was all in response to your last letter though I'm pretty sure, and thanking you lots and lots for the letters/pictures you sent. But yes, it seems there are some updates :) Look forward to hearing from you and love you!!!
Mark - sorry to hear about what happened, but you should completely move to utah. Just saying...its where its at!
Garrett - NO WAY!!!!!! COME MAI???? You gotta say more details than that pal, but tanti auguri a te!!! Seriously...and man. Talk about good workouts in the army haha. Good luck with all that.
Aunt Debi - wow things have been SUPER busy for you guys. I hope all went perfectly for the wedding...my mom sent a couple pictures and everyone looks great! Love you all!!!
Dad - its starting to get hot here too, though I'm lucky to be in Mistretta now. When I go to Palermo or Catania or other places not on my mountain its much hotter. Good luck with work changes.
Aunt Donna - thanks for emailing me every week! I love you lots!

Sheep near our house...we like to make videos about them

La mia citta'!

ETNA





Hiking 

Volcano

Sorelle (Mistretta/Catania)

Anziani

Scratched up shins

No comments:

Post a Comment