Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Make lemonade!!!‏

-Sorella Ashman "Theres a saying in America that says: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
-Frank (English course student) "Nooooo lemons are good thing. I have a tree of lemons in my house."
English course students say the greatest things ever. Frank is kind of a pessimist about life, yet he's soooo cool. I love listening to Frank talk - his English is very good and he says really funny things all the time!!
This week was a good one. Maria Pia and Valentina were both confirmed on Sunday and both are doing very well. I don't like when they have to wait a whole week to receive the Holy Ghost, but they both did fine. It was good when Sunday came though.
We've had some good lessons with Daniele this past week. Last Thursday we talked about his chapter from the Book of Mormon that he read (2 Nephi 2), and he said something really cool. He said that he read it a couple times and when he read certain verses he understand something differently the second time than the first time, or he thought of it and applied it differently. We were like "Hallelujah!!!" because he is already realizing the power of that book!! Well, we helped him realize it when we got super excited and were like you already have a testimony of the Book of Mormon!!! hahaha we got really excited for him. This made us happy, especially after the big disappointment when he didn't come to church last week. We also had a lesson with him Monday night and we read in Alma 34 with him about prayer and repentance and not procrastinating. It was a great lesson and we also talked about baptism. We still haven't set a baptismal date with him, but we feel the time may soon be coming. He knows that this is our purpose and we have brought it up several times, and he still meets with us and loves us. So we hope he will be ready to commit to a date soon!
Friday was Friday the 13th...I think Friday's are just not our day or something. It actually wasn't a terrible day, but there were some interesting things...AND a black cat crossed our path. Maybe I'll become Italian and become SUPER supersticious about everything....or maybe not. Anyways, I hope everyone had a happy Friday the 13th.
We got 3 new investigators on Saturday night!!! So remember the story of LAST Friday night when we went to Japigia and had to walk home in the freakish windstorm but he had gotten this lady's phone number? Well we made it to her house again on Saturday night and we had a lesson with her, her mom and dad, and they were all very very nice and want to continue to meet with us! And then Caterina and Pia came to Sacrament meeting the next day too!! That was really exciting for us to see someone make and follow a committment immediately...because it doesn't happen more frequently that it does it seems...sadly. But everyone has their agency and I'm grateful for that.
We've been talking to more people on the street the past week and we've gotten lots of phone numbers/potentials. It has been a cool experience to see the obvious...when you talk to people you'll find people who will become future investigators. And everyone has to be an investigator before they can become a member. We've met some interesting people and its been fun. WE've also done more house this week. House is always an interesting experience...you never know who you're going to meet. And when are you ever going to get another chance to knock on people's doors and talk to them about Jesus, besides on your mission??? Hahaha. So, we met some cool people, we met an INDIAN guy who doesn't speak Italian! That was random. We went back and left an English Book of Mormon in his mailbox because he wasn't home the next time. I really  really really felt like a missionary when we did house on Saturday in the pouring rain along with some wind. But it wasn't raining when we left that morning so I was not wearing great rain shoes haha! It's been colder with week...but still, we're pretty lucky here with mostly mild temperatures.
Today for Pday Sorella Ashman and I went to Polignano, which is a small town about 30 kilometers from Bari and its GORGEOUS!!! We were basically in heaven all day...Polignano is right on the sea and so we had so much fun just being near the water. I love being outside and exploring!!!
Well thats really it for this week. Transfer calls are this Saturday and we're anxiously waiting to see what President will say for us!!! Sorella Ashman has been ehre for 5 transfers and me for 2...it makes a lot of sense logically that she would leave. But she doesn't want to hahaha. Anyways...we both kind of get the feeling that I might be leaving, and if I do we think I'm going to Mistretta!!! Its a SMALL SMALL city of 5000 people on Sicily! SO COOL!!! Hahaha. Anyways, I'll let you know next week whats going on. I'm probably staying right here in Bari though! :)
Sidenote about the food here. I LOVE cheese (and no my favorite is NOT gouda!!! NAME THAT MOVIE!!!:) :) :) ) There is a cheese called straciatella that is basically mozzarella in this creamy milk and its SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. I can't even stand it. ANd I also love mozzarella with all my heart, and basically every other kind too. I just love the food here (except for the raw fish)!!!
Foto::
The best billboard I have ever seen in my life, right by our house :) :)
Cool spiral staircase in the palazzo where we met the Indian guy!
POLIGNANO IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life!
My little perch I found. We sat here for over an hour hahaha. It's pretty cold outside today!

BELLISSIMA

the coolest most awesome popcorn making vending machine in the middle of a little street in a tiny town in southern italy EVER!

That's me!

That's where we went today!


Vi volgio bene!!!!
Love, Sorella Sobeck

No comments:

Post a Comment